Apr 28, 2009

Annie, You're Okay

Last Friday I, Elyse, had the pleasure of seeing Annie at the "Historic Empire Theater." I'm kind of jealous that whenever anyone mentions the Empire Theater they have to put the word Historic in front of it. I wish whenever people said my name they had to put a really awesome capitalized adjective in front of it. I'll let you guys come up with some suggestions for said adjective because right now all that's coming to mind is "Unsinkable." Anyway, onto the show!
  • The set was great in a slanty kind of way. I was a little nauseated at first but then I got used to it and actually thought it was incredibly cool. And then this Saturday when I was staying in New York for a couple of nights I actually realized that all of New York is actually on a slant. Who knew?
  • The second the show started I started crying and I didn't stop until 13 minutes into intermission when I decided that if I didn't pull it together for Act 2 then Annie would get mad at me that I looked disheveled for the barbecue reception afterwards. Annie the orphan, not Annie my sister. The show is just too good and the music for some reason makes my heart break into 12565 pieces.
  • Gordon Bass was incredibly impressive as Daddy Warbucks, Sarah Day was adorable and incredibly talented as Annie, Joy Williams was absolutely hilarious as Miss Hannigan, Rachel Abrams was heart-warming as Grace, Rooster and Lily were an outstanding duo, Robin Harris-Jones nailed her star-to-be solo, and Annie Steingold was an incredible Boylan sister/Hoorvervillian/maid - your eye was drawn to her perhaps because she is ridiculously talented or perhaps because her wigs on her were ridiculous.
  • Cody, Cody, Cody. I don't even know what to say. He was too much. Let's just say that during the reception afterwards I walked away from Bruce Miller mid-sentence when I saw that Cody was in the lobby. Priorities.

I could write 12 blog posts about how great I thought the show was. It makes you laugh, it makes me cry, it's a spectacular show that Robin Arthur has done a fantastic job on. Everyone should go see this! A Steingold is on the Richmond Theatre Stage!! Who knew this would ever happen? I sure didn't. Especially not after my audition for Big. Ha. But it looks like after 13 years, Annie has broken the Steingold curse (similar to Princess Fiona's but minus the ogre part. Or maybe not...?).

I went and saw Rooms: A Rock Romance this past Sunday off-Broadway and it was incredible so some kind of something will be on the blog about that soon. And as a sign off, I (and by I I mean my mom) made up a song to the tune of "It's a Hard Knock Life" when I was in elementary school to help me learn how many feet and yards were in a mile for a test. So here goes...

fifty-two eighty feet go 
in a mile don't you know
if you walk five-two-eight-oh
your feet'll get there don't you know
fifty-two eighty

(and then this next part goes with the don't you feel like the wind is always howlin' part)

seventeen-sixty yards are in a mile

seventeen-sixty yards are very far

seventeen-sixty yards'll make me smile

when I get a hundred on my test tomorr-

This verse tells a lot about me as a third grader. Number 1: I don't start studying for things until the night before. And Number 2: I half-assed rhymes.

3 comments:

Annie's Blogs said...

Elyse, this is Annie! Oh my gosh, I totally saw the title of the blog post and at first was like, "ELYSE. You only thought the show was OK?? WTF???"

Then I realized you were referencing the classic hit, "Smooth Criminal." But knowing you, you were referencing the Alien Ant Farm version and not the Michael Jackson version. Because we all know that that song appeared on every mix CD we had spanning from 2001 to about 2006...

Annie's Blogs said...

Haha of COURSE it was the Alien Ant Farm version. You're lucky the title of the blog wasn't "Here's to You, Mrs. Warbucks," considering the popularity of that song on our mix cd's, as well.

Dave T said...

I always use "majestic" when refering to the Empire. I've only met you once, Elyse, but might I suggest "sensational?" There's a lot of good 's' action in "sensation Elyse Steingold."